RHEL5 on a PowerEdge 840

Dirk Gfroerer Dirk.Gfroerer at guh-software.de
Fri Jun 15 09:50:39 CDT 2007

Matthias Saou wrote:
 > Matthias Saou wrote :
 >
 >> I just got a couple of brand new PE 840 (basic towers, to be used
 >> inside an office, close to the workers). They're quite silent, making
 >> about as much noise as a Precision 380/390, no more... neat!
 >>
 >> My problem is that booting a RHEL5 x86_64 install media, the "Loading
 >> vmlinuz" line prints a few dots then stops. Num Lock still works, but
 >> the install goes no further.
 >>
 >> Has anyone already seen this? Is there any boot parameter I could pass
 >> which could fix this problem? I've searched a bit, but found nothing...
 >
 > I forgot to detail the server's configuration :
 > - Single Quad Core 2.13GHz Xeon
 > - 4GB RAM
 > - Two "plain" (no RAID) SATA drives
 > - No SAS or SCSI
 > - Second PCI-e Broadcom NIC
I just started installing RHEL5 x86_64 (Client) on our new PE 840. Same
CPU, only 2GB of RAM, two 250GB SATA drives connected to the onboard
controller, no second NIC, no DRAC. BIOS A03.

Everything is working without a problem. I'm using the boot.iso from the
images directory and then pulling the packages in via NFS.

So in theory it's working. Maybe you want to limit the RAM to 2GB during
installation?

Kind Regards,
Dirk