OMSA on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Dirk linux-poweredge at tst-us.com
Wed Jun 13 23:59:54 CDT 2007

Hi there,

I installed the dellomsa_5.2.0-2_i386.deb package (thanks to the people
from sara.nl for making that available) on some of my PE2850 and PE6550
servers so I could use the Dell ITA to distribute the firmware, but I
ran into some difficulties.

First, the package and the dependencies installed just fine. I then
configured the SNMP community settings and permissions as I found in
some other documentation online.
During the install of the OMSA, the following init scripts were created
in /etc/init.d/: dsm_om_connsvc,  dsm_om_shrsvc and  dsm_sa_ipmi. There
were no links created in any of the rc levels however. I fixed that
using `update-rc.d defaults 30 dsm_om_connsvc' and so on for the other two.

The dsm_om_shrsvc service gave me an error while starting; was
complaining about not being able to find some tools like ls, tail,tar,
lockfile..., but the status told me it was running. I found that in
Breezy Badger /usr/bin/lockfile was present, but since Dapper Drake the
regular lockfile has been replaced by the lockfile utilities.
A 'ln-s /usr/bin/dotlockfile /usr/bin/lockfile' solved that issue.

The ITA did not inventory the servers however. Running 'snmpwalk -v 1
-OS -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1` did not give any
results either. I later found on the Dell support site that contact and
location needed to be commented out in the snmpd.conf as the ITA uses
those fields for the RW test. I then found on some other site that I
needed to add the following to the snmpd.conf to allow the Systems
Management Data Engine SNMP to connect to snmpd using SMUX: "smuxpeer
.1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1"

ITA was still unable to inventory the servers...
I then ran '/opt/dell/srvadmin/dataeng/bin/dataeng status' and that gave
me this:
dsm_sa_datamgr32d (pid 5825) is running
dsm_sa_eventmgr32d (pid 5861) is running
dsm_sa_snmp32d not running

After some digging around I found this flag file:
/opt/dell/srvadmin/dataeng/dcsnmp.off
I removed the file, ran a '/opt/dell/srvadmin/dataeng/bin/dataeng start'
and then the dsm_sa_snmpd32d started.

Finally the ITA was able to inventory the servers.

Couple of questions however:
- Any idea how /opt/dell/srvadmin/dataeng/dcsnmp.off got there?
- Should /opt/dell/srvadmin/dataeng/bin/dataeng not be located in
/etc/init.d
- Why are the init scripts not linked to the runlevels?

Hope this helps some of you out there that are also struggling to get
the ITA to work. By the way, if you want to run an ITA compliance report
to check the firmware versions, make sure you have imported the DUP's
form both the Windows SUU and the Linux SUU. I can't understand why Dell
decided to use different packages (one with Windows appended to the
package name and one with Linux appended) for the same firmware. If you
only have the "Windows version" BIOS package and your target machine has
a Linux OS the compliance report remains blank and one easily assumes
that something else is wrong...

Kind regards,
Dirk.