RHEL 5 on 2950's slooooow boot. And on 2850s

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Jun 13 10:00:00 CDT 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, clockwork at sigsys.org wrote:
> > So RHEL5 (with xen) works fine on 2850's, however boot times on 2950's is
> > horribly slow. I figured this might be the good old acpi issue that can
> > be worked around via acpi=off being passed to the kernel. However that
> > does not seem to solve the issue. The system takes forever at the
> > "Starting system message bus" point. (more than 15 minutes).

Have seen the same on a 2850, but also on a Fedora Core 6 on a Compaq desktop
system.

I think it's a RedHat problem. I just pray that the electricity will stay on
and the juice won't run out of the UPSen, as we're a small shop (two servers)
and there are no generators...

An Asterisk PBX runs on the 2850 and it's a pity to wait sooo long for the
phone system to come up.

CentOS 4.4 never had that problem, and we only had to upgrade to get newer
OpenLDAP and Samba. :(

Cheers, Kuba