Weird fan behaviour on a 2950 -- also on a 2850, with a Dell U320 PCIX SCSI Card.

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Jun 13 09:11:04 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007, Duncan Hill wrote:
> Just racked up a 2950, and it's been fairly good so far, with the fans
> running around idle.  However, walking past the comms room just now, I
> could hear the fans running at full tilt (13K RPM), despite the server
> having 0 load (ie, idle OS).  I've been digging through the omconfig and
> ipmi commands, and I can't find a way to tell the BIOS to re-evaluate the
> need to run the fans at 13K RPM.  omconfig chassis fancontrol says
> fancontrol isn't supported.

You don't have an Adaptec U320 SCSI card installed in there, do you? Or any
other extension card?

Because for me, putting a Dell-branded U320 PCIX SCSI card in a PE2850 makes
the fans go at 9.5kRPM as soon as the SCSI BIOS starts. I've disabled
scanning of the bus and installation of the SCSI BIOS, but the problem is
still there -- the fans go full tilt as soon as the card's BIOS is executed,
and they can only be stopped by pulling the power from both power supplies.

02:06.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec ASC-39320(B) U320 w/HostRAID (rev 10)
02:06.1 RAID bus controller: Adaptec ASC-39320(B) U320 w/HostRAID (rev 10)

02:06.0 Class 0104: 9005:8095 (rev 10)
        Subsystem: 1028:0168
02:06.1 Class 0104: 9005:8095 (rev 10)
        Subsystem: 1028:0168

Nota Bene: I've tried to put the card in just because the onboard PERC/4
essentially stopped working after upgrading from Centos 4.4 to Centos 5. The
devices attached to the PERC's external SCSI connector have horrible
inter-transfer delays, and won't transfer any blocks bigger than 64kb.

I've had to transfer the U320 card to an adjacent 2650 server, and do the
backups via rmt over a dedicated VNET. It works just fine on the 2650.

Cheers, Kuba