RHEL3 : Installing software without an up2date RHN account ?

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Jun 9 18:47:50 CDT 2007

On Sat, June 9, 2007 19:04, Florent Gilain wrote:
> Yes, my goal was to have a "test platform" in order to apply modifications
> on it before putting it into production platform (for which i have valid
> RHEL licence and account  ;-))  )

Ah. That's vital information.  From a legal and ethical standpoint, you
should probably purchase a Red Hat entitlement for the test system.
That's what we do.

>From a technical standpoint, you would do very well to use an image of the
production system, which I presume is also running in a VMWare environment
on the same or identical hardware.  Otherwise your regression testing
won't be entirely valid.  That's also what we do. g4l works well for
imaging, but you can do it with a live CD, an NFS mount, and dd.

Also from a technical standpoint, I've been told that you can get away
with unentitling the prod system, using the entitlement to register the
test system and update it, and then reverse the process to get prod
entitled again.  Seems sleazy to me.

regards,
j.