2950 write performance issues

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dell at treblig.org
Fri Jun 8 12:34:13 CDT 2007

* McDougall, Marshall (FSH) (Marshall.McDougall at gov.mb.ca) wrote:

> I have compared the RAID config, with megacli, in all cases and they are
> identical.  I am running out of ideas.  I would appreciate any fresh
> approaches that are offered. Hell, I'll even take old stale ones just to
> make sure I haven't missed anything :)  Thanks.

I'd start with some really simple benchmarks; e.g.
 hdparm -tT  on the /dev/sda (not even the partition)
then I'd look at writing performance; I tend to use

     dd if=/dev/zero of=abigfile bs=1024k

then start up iostat (in sysstat package) and watch the
write performance after it stabilises.

Some of the LSI controllers are very difficult to get
good performance out of; one of the controllers (not a Dell branded
one) I actually got better performance by using software RAID
but peoples experience seems to vary a lot.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /