RHEL 5 on 2950's slooooow boot.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:10:36 CDT 2007

On 6/7/07, clockwork at sigsys.org <clockwork at sigsys.org> wrote:
> So RHEL5 (with xen) works fine on 2850's, however boot times on 2950's is
> horribly slow. I figured this might be the good old acpi issue that can be
> worked around via acpi=off being passed to the kernel. However that does not
> seem to solve the issue. The system takes forever at the "Starting system
> message bus" point. (more than 15 minutes).  Does anybody have any ideas
> what could be causing this ? 6 2850's work fine, all 4 2950's I have rhel 5
> installed on exhibit the same problem. Nothing of note sticks out in the
> logs, and it eventually does start alright.
>
> Any ideas ?

Going to need more information.. any special hardware? everything
install? got the network plugged in properly ( the 2950/2850 flipped
eth0 for 4.4 but was 'fixed' in 4.5 and 5.0)? etc The problem would
seem to be something with your dbus and possible netfs.. but I have no
idea as my RHEL-5 2950 system boots fine.