Reconstructing RAID-0 to RAID-10 using omconfig

John Buttery johnb+linuxpoweredge at academicsuperstore.com
Fri Jun 8 11:55:49 CDT 2007

* On Friday 08 June 2007 10:47, Tino Schwarze
<linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de> wrote:
>Then use dd to copy the whole filesystem as is. If your network is
> secure, netcat is a nice tool (sometimes just called nc).
>
>Run
>   nc -l -p 4242 > fsdump.gz
>on the backup server to start listening on port 4242.
>Then run
>  dd if=/dev/your/device of=- bs=1M | gzip -1 | nc $backupserver 4242
>to transfer everything gziped (depending on network and CPU speed,
> gzip may or may not speed things up - try dd with count=100 to look
> what it takes to transfer 100MB).
>
>Later, do it the other way around: Run
>  nc -l -p 4242 | gunzip | dd if=- of=/dev/new/device bs=1M
>on the server, use
>  cat fsdump.gz | nc $server 4242
>to transfer the dump via network.

  First off, thanks for the info.

1) Will dd work when the partition isn't the same size?  The process
here would be to dd the filesystem out, re-initialize the array (at
which point it will double in size), then dd the filesystem back in.
Is dd going to be OK with that?

2) Do I run this once per partition, or once for the whole disk?  In
other words, is it gonna be "dd if=/dev/sda1 ..." followed by "dd
if=/dev/sda2 ...", etc ... or just one big "dd if=/dev/sda ..."?

3) I don't even need the network -- the temporary storage location is a
USB disk connected directly to the server in question -- but I'll keep
that in mind for next time.  :)

--
John Buttery <johnb at academicsuperstore.com>
System Administrator