Reconstructing RAID-0 to RAID-10 using omconfig

Tino Schwarze linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de
Fri Jun 8 10:47:42 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 03:53:54PM -0500, John Buttery wrote:

>   As an alternative, assuming omconfig doesn't work for some reason and
> dellmgr doesn't have the functionality...an (unpleasant) alternative
> would be to brute-force copy everything off the host, rebuild the array
> from scratch, and copy everything back.  Sorry if this is a bit
> off-topic, but does this look like a good synchronization command?
>
> rsync -a --hard-links --sparse / /external_backup/tempfs
>
>   The restore command would be the same arguments, but the directories
> reversed:
>
> rsync -a --hard-links --sparse /external/backup/tempfs/ /
>
>   (Note the absence and presence of the / after tempfs, which I believe
> is significant to rsync.)
>
>   I'm also open to other solutions using tools other than rsync (tar,
> perhaps?).  The basic idea is that I want the filesystem to look
> exactly the way it did before the copy.

Then use dd to copy the whole filesystem as is. If your network is secure,
netcat is a nice tool (sometimes just called nc).

Run
   nc -l -p 4242 > fsdump.gz
on the backup server to start listening on port 4242.
Then run
  dd if=/dev/your/device of=- bs=1M | gzip -1 | nc $backupserver 4242
to transfer everything gziped (depending on network and CPU speed, gzip
may or may not speed things up - try dd with count=100 to look what it
takes to transfer 100MB).

Later, do it the other way around: Run
  nc -l -p 4242 | gunzip | dd if=- of=/dev/new/device bs=1M
on the server, use
  cat fsdump.gz | nc $server 4242
to transfer the dump via network.

HTH,

Tino.

--
www.quantenfeuerwerk.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Parkstraße 17h * 09120 Chemnitz