warm-plug on a software RAID1, PowerEdge 860

Bart van Kuik linux-poweredge at vankuik.nl
Fri Jun 8 05:55:44 CDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I've got a PowerEdge 860 here and as mentioned previously the BIOS/SATA
controller doesn't support usage of the ahci driver. So that means no
hot-plug support.

I'm running RedHat 5, kernel 2.6.18, using the ata_piix driver and if I've
understood it correctly, this supports warm-plug for the SATA drives. I.e.
you have to manually run commands yourself before unplugging the drive.

http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Libata-tj-stable
(search for "warmplugging")

I've tested it and it seems to work. Replacing second drive here.

   # echo 1 > "/sys/class/scsi_device/1:0:0:0/device/delete"

(Physically replace drive)

   # echo 0 0 0 > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/scan

Testing whether it came back:

   # cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Can anyone confirm that I'm right, or that I just was lucky today not
breaking anything?

Thanks,
Bart