Weird fan behaviour on a 2950

Tony van Lingen tony.vanlingen at epa.qld.gov.au
Thu Jun 7 02:46:49 CDT 2007

DirkJan,

I don't think its purely cosmetic. Raghavendra says:

> The Woodcrest CPUs on PE2950 no longer have ambient temperature sensor
> information.
If I understand this correctly that implies that the value returned (and the OK that you crave) are based on hogwash. That is far worse than no output at all, since it could lull you into thinking that all's well whilst the CPU is in fact almost well done and ready to serve... Am I right here Raghavendra?

Cheers,
Tony

Dirkjan Bussink wrote:
> Raghavendra_Biligiri at Dell.com wrote:
>

>> The IPMI sensors have the sensor scanning disabled bit set; ipmitool
>> ignores this if there is a reading value returned.
>> This reading should always be ignored if sensor scanning bit is enabled.
>>

> When I applied the patch, the status 'ok' also disappeared. This makes
> the patch to me quite useless. It provides less information, so I can't
> easily detect temperature issues with the machines.
>
> So in my opinion, the patch removes information that is very useful, so
> I much more prefer the relative temperatures over no temperatures. To
> me, the issue is only minor and cosmetic, so I simply live with it :).

Disclaimer

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) has originated from a Queensland Government department and may contain information that is confidential, private, or covered by legal professional privilege, and may be protected by copyright.

You may use this e-mail only if you are the person(s) it was intended to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately by phone or e-mail and delete this e-mail, including any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hardcopies.

Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail represents the views of the sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all viruses have been detected and cleaned. Any use of this e-mail could harm your computer system.  It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with your computer system).

E-mails sent to and from the Environmental Protection Agency will be electronically stored, managed and may be audited, in accordance with the law and Queensland Government Information Standards (IS31, IS38, IS40, IS41 and IS42) to the extent they are consistent with the law.