firmware updates == loss of functionality?

Reid Wightman reidkr at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Jun 6 17:21:35 CDT 2007

Hi all -

I updated a dell poweredge 2650 firmware this afternoon.  Fortunately I
did it on a test system.  The updates applied correctly, but OM no
longer records power supply events.  I ran a test on the system ~2 weeks
ago to make sure power supply monitoring was working (here are the
hardware logs still on the system, when I unplugged power supply #2 and
plugged it back in 21 seconds later):

::::::
1304 Tue May 22 15:05:34 2007 Instrumentation Service
Redundancy regained
Redundancy unit: System Power Unit
Chassis location: Main System Chassis
Previous redundancy state was: Lost
Number of devices required for full redundancy: 2
1354 Tue May 22 15:05:13 2007 Instrumentation Service
Power supply detected a failure
Sensor location: Power Supply 2
Chassis location: Main System Chassis
Previous state was: OK (Normal)
Power Supply type: AC
::::::

After the update and reboot (cold boot), unplugging a power supply gives
no message in the logs, and no snmp message to my management server.
Omreport was able to give me power supply status two weeks ago as well
(I could run 'omreport chassis pwrsupplies' and see the status of both
power supplies), but now it tells me "Error! No instrumented power
supplies found on this system."

The update I applied was to bios A21, baseboard firmware 3.35, backplane
firmware 1.01, and OM 5.2.0.  My previous versions were bios A05 (had to
update to A15 as an intermediary), baseboard 3.0, backplane 0.34, and OM
5.1.0.  All the snazzy dell kernel modules that get loaded by
srvadmin-services.sh are loading fine so far as I can tell.  Anyone have
an idea of where to start looking?  Or know how to downgrade a firmware?

Reid