RCMP+ key in x9xx BMC

Bogart Salzberg webmaster at inkfist.com
Wed Jun 6 13:53:38 CDT 2007

Does setting the RCMP+ key in the BMC BIOS make IPMI serial-over-LAN
any more (or less) secure? I have not been able to find much
documentation on how IPMI 2.0 works with RCMP+ and RAKP. The verbose
output of ipmitool suggests that both sides are generating random
keys. In any case, I can't connect with ipmitool over LANplus after
setting the key, and the ipmitool documentation does not appear to
have any accommodation for this. Is it related to a cipher-suite
selection?

Thanks,

Bogart Salzberg