Any way to detect server model?

Thomas_Chenault at Dell.com Thomas_Chenault at Dell.com
Wed Feb 28 18:31:15 CST 2007

The model name of the server can be found in the output of `dmidecode'
in the `System Information' section.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Ray Van Dolson
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:26 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Any way to detect server model?

Trying to automate some kickstart decisions.  Is there any reliable way
determine what type of server platform a particular installation is
running
on?  Something visible either through dmesg or /proc, or some other
utility?
Something that can be used from a shell script.

I suppose I could have the user pass the server model as an argument
when
booting off the boot media and have kickstart read it out of
/proc/cmdline,
but I prefer automation if possible.

Or any best practices/procedures you guys use.

Ray