PE2650 Perc 3/Di drive insertion degrades array

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Feb 28 11:53:38 CST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007, you wrote:
> H have a PE2650 with 3 physical drives 0:0,0:1,0:2. The 0:0 and 0:1 are
> part of a RAID-1. The 0:2 was a single disk in a RAID-0. I have then
> inserted a new disk in slot 5.
>
> What happened is that physical disk 0:1 disappeared and the controller
> doesn't see that disk anymore. Of course virtual disk 0 got degraded.
>
> Any input as to WTF happened? I'm scared as if this is the typical
> behaviour of this platform, I'll have to put our servers up on eBay and
> start looking for another vendor :(

Now, when I pulled the 0:1 out (it indicated "Removed") and put it into 0:4,
it still says "Removed" on 0:4. This is weird.

Can inserting a drive into the array kill another hard drive?? Things get
scarier by the minute.

I'm hesitant to move that drive to another server, as I'm worried that it may
wreak havoc there.

Cheers, Kuba