PE2650 Perc 3/Di drive insertion degrades array

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Feb 28 11:42:58 CST 2007

H have a PE2650 with 3 physical drives 0:0,0:1,0:2. The 0:0 and 0:1 are part
of a RAID-1. The 0:2 was a single disk in a RAID-0. I have then inserted a
new disk in slot 5.

What happened is that physical disk 0:1 disappeared and the controller doesn't
see that disk anymore. Of course virtual disk 0 got degraded.

Any input as to WTF happened? I'm scared as if this is the typical behaviour
of this platform, I'll have to put our servers up on eBay and start looking
for another vendor :(

Cheers, Kuba