New Mobo - Change MAC Address

Fred Skrotzki fskrotzki at textwise.com
Wed Feb 28 11:38:43 CST 2007

Assuming you are subnet'd as a standard class C, you are then pinging
the broadcast address on a standard class C (/24).  So that ends up
sending to each system in the subnet.  This works for other network
subneting schemes also (Just hit the last address in the subnet).  Each
card looks for broadcast request stuff on the last IP of the subnet
(bootp, dhcp, etc all announce and exchange data that way). That is also
the reason it is going crazy as it basically hits all the systems at the
same time from a IP they are not, causes several other issues like
redirect announcements, Ping also sends multiple packets so it repeats'
the process several times hammering the network and generating traffic.
So if you want to flood you network for a few seconds that is one way to
do it.