New Mobo - Change MAC Address

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Feb 28 09:44:28 CST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Duncan Hill wrote:
> On Wed, February 28, 2007 15:22, Tom Brown wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > We have an app thats tied to the MAC of the NIC but we are having a mobo
> > swapped out tonight. Is there anyway to change the MAC of the onboard
> > NIC's on an 1850? If we have to relicense the app this will be major
> > issues for us.
>
> MACs are essentially burned into the 'memory' of the NIC.

In most cases, the NIC chipset will read a serial EEPROM and set up its
internal MAC register, along with PCI descriptors and other configuration
data. The runtime MAC register is typically read-write and can be altered at
will. Some NICs have functionality that allows the EEPROM to be reprogrammed
in-situ so that the MAC change becomes more permanent. I can't imagine a NIC
that doesn't have the MAC in a register that can be accessed along with other
control registers. Some cost-optimized NICs may integrate the EEPROM on the
same die, or in the same package as the one and only chip that they comprise
of. I can't think right away of any commonplace NIC that'd have OTP memory
(EPROM) or masked MAC and no alterable runtime MAC register. Maybe some cards
from 10Base-5/AUI era would be that braindead, but I wouldn't know that.

Driver support for that is another story -- I can only vouch for the cards
that I use, and they IIRC all worked OK in that respect. If one has chip(set)
documentation, it's easy to add the necessary functionality to the driver, it
should be a maybe 20 line patch.

Cheers, Kuba