PERC4/DC : Convert single-disk RAID0 to dual-disk RAID1 and preserve data?

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Wed Feb 28 09:37:37 CST 2007

On Wed, February 28, 2007 08:40, vincent at cojot.name wrote:
> I have a system using a single-disk SCSI config in a single logical drive
> on a PERC 4e/DC. I have obtained an identical SCSI disk and I'd like to
> convert the system to RAID-1. I.E: The original single disk would become
> part (and retain its OS/data on it!)  of a RAID-1 logical drive.

You can do that on the AACRAID PERCs with "container create mirror" after
adding the second disk to the RAID 0 container.  I've not found a way to
do it on the megaraid LSI clones.  You could create an image of sda (with
g4l, for instance), create a new RAID 1 virtual disk with both disks, then
restore the sda image to it, avoiding many of the complications of a
file-level backup/recovery.