PXE booting of PE1950

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Wed Feb 28 07:54:55 CST 2007

Michael Green wrote:
> Bright minds,
>
> I'm looking for somebody who had succeeded in setting up PXE booting
> of PE1950 machines in SLES9 SP3 environment.
>
> I've been trying for quite some time now to setup a DHCP/NFS/TFTP/PXE
> server on one PE1950 to boot up a bunch of other PE1950s but it didn't
> work.
>
> I'm not looking to instal the machines from PXE, but to boot the
> machines over PXE and let them run off NFS mounted file systems.
>
> The knowledge that I've gathered on the topic is from  various HOWTOs
> that I found on the Internet, most of which are relatively old and/or
> Redhat based.
>
> So if you have succeeded in building PXE environment on PE1950 (or
> similar systems), and willing to share your knowledge  please drop me
> a note!
>
> I'd equally appreciate pointers to any _relevant_ reading.

I have a very new cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/) setup in place
  that takes care of PXE, DHCP, TFTP, Kickstarting and a few other
things as well.. i use it for provisioning RHEL/CentOS on dell 860, xy50
(x=1,2, y=7,8,9) servers, though it should work with any other server /
distro. am not too sure about the NFS mounts though..

BTW, here is a link to using cobbler with SuSE.
http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Linux/SuSE/Using+Cobbler+with+SuSE

- dhawal