PE2950 SAS controller upgrade

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Feb 27 08:24:56 CST 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Tino Schwarze wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> (I couldn't reach our sales rep, therefore I'm asking here)
>
> I've got a PE2950 with SAS5/i and 4 SAS disks. We're using software
> raid1 on these and now ordered another 2 disks. After we discovered that
> the integrated controller cannot handle 6 disks, we're going to order
> a PERC controller for the machine.
>
> My question: Will that work without backing up all data and restoring
> after installing the PERC? We'd actually like to use the PERC in JBOD
> mode which is not possible, as I've learned recently from this list. So
> we wil have to configure 6 RAID0, right?

Or simply six unmirrored discs. This at least used to be possible on Perc3/Di,
so I can't see it not being possible now.

> What would be the best upgrade path for us? Would it be possible to
> somehow attach another controller to the backplane? Are we stuck with a
> PERC we don't need nor want?

PERC can be used just fine for a non-RAID setup.

> PS: We're pretty unsatisfied with the choices Dell currently offers
> regarding storage. It all started with the 1850 having only 2 disks.

Well, 1850 is a 1U unit, so it's really a tradeoff between having many disks
and having e.g. redundant fans and whatnot. I like thermally overdesigned
systems, and by keeping the component density reasonable, an 1850 has better
chances of surviving an AC failure in a server room etc. Unless you're
talking datacenter density, there's no reason not to use 2850 if you need
more disks IMHO. I'm a happy camper with a 2650 and 2850 in a small lab.

Cheers, Kuba