No mib info on Debian Sarge with snmpd + omsa

Vanush Paturyan (Misha) misha at cs.nuim.ie
Fri Feb 23 08:24:11 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:08:51AM -0200, Cesar Avalos wrote:
> Guys help me out please,
>
> I'm very newbie with OMSA and don't know the possible work around with it.
> Did anyone had success to get a OMSA report with snmpd  and dell's mib
> 10892 on a debian sarge?
<snip>

> # snmpwalk -v 1 -OS -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1
>   End of MIB
>
> But after all those setup... when i try to use the snmpwalk to get
> information on the 10892.mib. No success, and no Storage info too. I
> got no clue where is my mistake, and i apologize for my poor english

I assume this is actual output of snmpwalk command (ie it gives you
end of MIB instead of useful data). This is possibly due to default
settings in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file restricting "public" community
to ".iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system" part of the SNMP tree.

If I remember correctly changing "com2sec paranoid default public" to
"com2sec readonly default public" at the beginning of
/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file and restarting snmp (/etc/init.d/snmpd
restart) should solve the problem (but be aware that this opens up
access to the full tree for the community 'public').

Misha.