S.M.A.R.T status of drives behind a PERC4 HBA?

Thu Feb 22 09:19:50 CST 2007

To answer your first question. The simple answer is no. If you use OMSA
it will query the over all SMART status and display that as the "Failure
Predicted" field in the disk information, but that's about it.

The PERC 3's, 4's, and 5's store their RAID information on both the
disks and the controller's NVRAM.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of
vincent at cojot.name
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:00 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: S.M.A.R.T status of drives behind a PERC4 HBA?

Hello everyone,

Please forgive the simplistic query but is there a way to query the
S.M.A.R.T status of the drives behind the Logical drives of a PERC
4e/DC?
I'd like to know things like temperature, total poweron hours, etc..
I'm using RHEL4U4 with Dellmgr-5.31-0.i386.rpm. Short of this, I guess
I'll have to connect these drives to another (non-RAID) HBA to know
these (at least once).

Also, where does the PERC4 store its RAID membership info? I suspect it
is on some area of the disk but I am unsure because some other genuine
LSI MegaRaid (non-DELL) don't seem to do so..

Thanks for reading,

Vincent