Tape Drive Problem

Sturgis, Grant Grant.Sturgis at arraybiopharma.com
Wed Feb 21 11:18:08 CST 2007

Greetings List,

This is not a PE, but a Precision, sorry for the off topic, but I was
hoping for some help in any case.

Precision 670
RHEL 4.0
Adaptec AIC-7892A U160/m

We have a tape drive connected to a SCSI controller and are having some
difficulty getting mt to work.  The SCSI BIOS reports that it sees the
tape drive just fine, and dmesg says this:

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
         <Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
         aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

scsi0:A:4:0: DV failed to configure device.  Please file a bug report
against this driver.
(scsi0:A:4): 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz DT, offset 126, 16bit)
   Vendor: SONY      Model: SDX-700C          Rev: 0207
   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:0e.0[A] -> GSI 24 (level, low) -> IRQ 217
scsi1 : Adaptec AIC79XX PCI-X SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 1.3.11
         <Adaptec AIC7901 Ultra320 SCSI adapter>
         aic7901: Ultra320 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, PCI 33 or 66Mhz,
512 SCBs

 From what I have found on Google, I think the "DV failed to configure
device" is a legacy warning that can be safely ignored.

I have done a "modprobe st" and the st module seems to load OK, from dmesg:
st: Version 20040403, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B), max page reachable by HBA
134217727

But then mt fails with this:

mt -f /dev/st0 status
/dev/st0: Input/output error

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Grant

Pardon this rubbish:

sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by