Simple DRAC5 questions

Ken Williams kenw232 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 06:45:58 CST 2007

Hi, I'm curious if anyone has used the shared mode for the DRAC5 cards in a PowerEdge 1950 (or 2950 I guess).

Is it true I actually don't have to use the DRAC NIC port at all to use the card?  So if my server has IP set 200.1.1.110 thru 200.1.1.120, I simply sacrifice/unbind one IP (say the last one 200.1.1.120) from my OS and assign it to the DRAC card?  So I can reach the DRAC card at 200.1.1.120 and it goes over NIC 1 of the server?  If the server is powered down does NIC one still work for the DRAC card?  I guess it must...

Thanks for any guidance.
kenw232 at yahoo.com

Need Mail bonding?