NFS async export option

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Tue Feb 20 16:27:15 CST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Brendan Heading wrote:

> All,
>
> Just wanted to check on the list, is anyone running an NFS server with
> the async option set in export file ? I've tried it with our PE2850 at
> work with some test mounts. It's speeded things up a *lot* for the NFS
> clients.
>
> Is this a totally stupid and reckless idea, or is it likely that I'll
> get away with it okay ?

It used to be the default on Debian until "sarge"...

There is the possibiltiy that should the server crash you might lose more
data than you would normally. (ie. data waiting to be written to disk) If
this is acceptable to you (is it to me for nearly all my servers) then
it's well worth the speed-up...

Gordon