Cloning a system and copying the partition table to anotherdrive

Mukarram Syed muksyed at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 19 20:48:41 CST 2007

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Appreciate it.

-Mukarram.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pascal Robinet [mailto:pascal at lorelin.net]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 1:28 PM
To: Mukarram Syed
Subject: Re: Cloning a system and copying the partition table to
anotherdrive

Le lundi 19 février 2007 à 13:13 -0800, Mukarram Syed a écrit :
> Hi

Hello.

> Two part question:
>
> 1.
>
> Is there a procedure to moving a drive to another system? Meaning

> You could disable a mirrored drive from mdadm or raid controller and
> put it in another system, boot it in Single User mode.  Change
> hostname/IP address and boot it off.
>
> I tried this on my PE2950’s but the other system would not boot.  I
> don’t remember the error exactly I think it was referring to the MBR.
> Is there something in the grub.conf file that we need to modify?

The MBR is NOT mirrored since it's not on a partition, so when you grab
the 2nd disk of an array, there is no boot record to boot from...

So you need to boot from recovery CD and reinstall GRUB on the MBR.

> 2.
>
> Also in Solaris you could copy the partition table from one drive to
> another using the following command:
>
> Prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard –s – /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2
>
> Is there such a command in Linux using fdisk or something?  I haven’t
> found one in my research.
dd (disk dump)
Also various tools more sophisticated like parted, gparted/qtparted (GUI
version of the 1st using GTK and QT respectively)
Those later tools allows you to do compressed backups on the fly and
display various informations.

Good luck
Pascal