Two network interfaces [copy to the list]

Benoit Plessis b.plessis at doyousoft.com
Mon Feb 19 16:52:33 CST 2007

Hi,
as said before your network configuration would be helpfull in resolving
this problem, but I can
see one explanation of this.

Let's say eth0 configuration is like this:
       address => 192.168.1.1/24
       gateway => 192.168.1.254
and eth1 is like this one:
       address => 192.168.1.2/24

In this case if you unplug eth0 cable, the host would be unable to reach
it's gateway which
is configured using eth0 and you won't be unable to ping it _from
another network._
To be able to do this you need to specific two gateway, one for each
interface.

Anyway if you really need HA on the network take a look at the linux
bonding driver:
http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-bonding.html

benoit