RAID recommendation for data mining

Shane Williams broot at ischool.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 19 16:20:50 CST 2007

I've got a user who's doing data mining research, so fast drive access
is important, but since there's some need for redundancy, I've
recommended a RAID 1 setup.  Now, as I understand it, software RAID
will generally provide better performance than hardware RAID, but RAID
cards that provide battery-backup and caching may be an exception to
that rule.

Based on his budget, we're looking at either a Precision 490 or PE
1950, so my question is whether we'll be better off (performance-wise)
getting the PERC 5/i in whichever we decide to go with or whether
software RAID would serve us better?

TIA for your input.

--
Public key 0x87D001E0 at           |                 Shane Williams
http://pgp.mit.edu/                |      System Admin - UT iSchool
All syllogisms contain three lines |       broot at ischool.utexas.edu
Therefore this is not a syllogism  | www.ischool.utexas.edu/~shanew