Cloning a system and copying the partition table to another drive

Patrick_Boyd at Patrick_Boyd at
Mon Feb 19 15:21:05 CST 2007

1) I haven't had much experience doing this with software RAID. But with
hardware RAID, provided you have two cards from the same manufaturer,
should basically be plug and play
2) Easiest way I know of to do this would be just using dd.

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at] On Behalf Of Mukarram Syed
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 3:14 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Cloning a system and copying the partition table to another

Two part question:

Is there a procedure to moving a drive to another system? Meaning...

You could disable a mirrored drive from mdadm or raid controller and put
it in another system, boot it in Single User mode.  Change hostname/IP
address and boot it off.

I tried this on my PE2950's but the other system would not boot.  I
don't remember the error exactly I think it was referring to the MBR.
Is there something in the grub.conf file that we need to modify?

Also in Solaris you could copy the partition table from one drive to
another using the following command:

Prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2

Is there such a command in Linux using fdisk or something?  I haven't
found one in my research.

Thanks in advance.

Mukarram Syed

Unix Systems Administrator.