Cloning a system and copying the partition table to another drive

Mukarram Syed muksyed at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 19 15:13:50 CST 2007

Hi

Two part question:

1.

Is there a procedure to moving a drive to another system? Meaning.

You could disable a mirrored drive from mdadm or raid controller and put it
in another system, boot it in Single User mode.  Change hostname/IP address
and boot it off.

I tried this on my PE2950's but the other system would not boot.  I don't
remember the error exactly I think it was referring to the MBR.   Is there
something in the grub.conf file that we need to modify?

2.

Also in Solaris you could copy the partition table from one drive to another
using the following command:

Prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2

Is there such a command in Linux using fdisk or something?  I haven't found
one in my research.

Thanks in advance.

Mukarram Syed

Unix Systems Administrator.