1955 and SAS Drive Size

Richard Ford rford at candis.com.cn
Sun Feb 18 09:49:46 CST 2007

Yeah, I have a PV220S stuck on a PE1850 as my NAS server for NFS.

It uses spliut mode and two channels for a RAID10 with the RAID1
subsets straddling the two channels.  I got 146MB 15K's in there.
Speed is sweet and that is where all data lives.

But the actual applciations for the virtual machines, take 10-15GB
each.  I figure given current trends that a dual cpu, dual core
server with 8GB of ram, can handle 6 terminal services servers for
virtual desktops with 2GB ram each.  With ESX3 and ballooning the
blade will perform nice.

But at 10GB *6 = 60GB.

73GB disk formats to about 66GB.  So it is really tight.  And I have
no chance of say putting 10 low usage VM's together on one blade.

The 1855 could take 3.5 inchers...  :-(

I guess that soon enough they will make 146gb 2.5 inchers?

Cheers,
RF.