1955 and SAS Drive Size

Richard Ford rford at candis.com.cn
Sun Feb 18 03:00:04 CST 2007

G'Day All,

I thought it was just a China thing - but when checking the 1955
prices state side - the limit too is 73GB 2.5INCH SAS drives.

When I was first scoping the 1955 before I am pretty sure I saw at
least 146GB option (4 months ago) and settled for a RAID 1 with 2 x
73GB in our first blades as they were ordered right after the unit
was available.

However the processing power of those new core2 dual core chips is
amazing.  And now I find my limit being disk size to put all the VM's
on that I want.  Sorry no SAN - waaaaay too expensive for us at this
point in time and I like local storage as it partitions the problems
so that there is no SPOF in say an NFS or dodgy cheap SAN/NAS route...

Will Dell sell 146GB 2.% inch SAS drives sometime?  Soon I hope?

Cheers,
Richard.