Two network interfaces

Mukarram Syed muksyed at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 17 15:41:33 CST 2007

Hi Robert,
I did work around this Link Enumeration issue with bonding and I don't know
how long this would hold up.

But this is my setup before I talk about my work around.

Setup:
-----

OnBoard Port1 = eth0
OnBoard Port2 = eth1
Quad Port1 =eth2
Quad Port2 =eth3
Quad Port3 = eth4
Quad Port4 = eth5

Setup bonding with:
OnBoard Port1 = eth0 - primary
Quad Port1 =eth2

Worked fine until...I rebooted.

Rebooted the box.
Network came up, but couldn't ping the default gateway.  Scratched my head
for a few hours, googled etc.
Then did a:
ethtool -p eth0  - saw the light was flashing on Onboard Port2
ethtool -p eth1  - saw the light was flashing on Onboard Port1
I think the Quad ports were okay, don't quite remember.

Totally confused.

I disabled bonding and rebooted and everything came back to how it was.

Enabled bonding again.

Rebooted, confused again.

Work around:
------------
Since eth0 was On the Onboard Port1, renamed eth0 as eth1 in the
/etc/ifcfg-eth1
Changed from eth0 to eth1 as the primary in the /etc/modprobe.conf file.
Did not change eth2.

Did a reboot or service network startup.  Now I could ping the default
gateway and ssh into the box.

Did a test by disabling/enabling the Network ports and the failover worked.

Did subsequent rebooted and it still worked.

I have deployed it with my fingers crossed.
So far this has been holding up.

I hope there is a permanent work around to what I did.

Thanks

-Mukarram.