Is this a genuine Dell Drive?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at
Wed Feb 14 06:50:43 CST 2007

On 2/14/07, vincent at <vincent at> wrote:
> In a Dell serv with SCSI I own, a disk has failed. I'm wondering if this
> drive is a genuine Dell drive (I got the server second-hand).

  I've never seen a Dell part that didn't have either a DP/N (Dell
Part Number), DS/N (Dell Serial Number), or PPID (Piece Part
Identification) marked on it somewhere.  But maybe there are

  Why do you care?  It's not like Dell makes the drives themselves;
they buy drives from Seagate, Maxtor, etc., just like everyone else

-- Ben