Kernel sources for debian on dell

Nikolai Lusan nikolai.lusan at hitwise.com
Mon Feb 12 22:30:14 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 17:39 -0500, Rob Munsch wrote:

> I'm running a couple of pe 1950s and they're Behaving Weirdly.  I've got
> them on kernel 2.6.19r1 via the "debian on dell" custom sarge 1028 iso,
> but it has no kernel sources.  Frex, the machines see less than a gig of
> RAM, and i have a sinking feeling that this kernel was compiled without
> it...

We run a load of Dells, all on debian. I tend to use that image just to
get the thing installed, then I put my own kernels of the boxen.

> What is the best way to get the kernel sources so i may tweak it myself?
>   I'm not sure what "r1" corresponds to on kernel.org.  Is this 2.6.19
> or 2.6.19.1?  Or something else?  Or am i barking up the wrong tree
> entirely to get this working?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grab source from ftp.kernel.org and build your own packaged with
make-kpkg (apt-get install kernel-package). I have yet to have an issue
with my hand rolled kernels that wasn't related to a bug in the upstream
source.

--

Nikolai Lusan
Systems Administrator

Hitwise Pty. Ltd.
Level 7 / 580 St Kilda Road
Melbourne, Victoria 3004
Australia
Phone: +61 3 8530 2400
Fax:  +61 3 9529 8907
www.hitwise.com.au
nikolai.lusan at hitwise.com

Worldwide:  •  United States  •  United Kingdom  •  Australia  •  New
Zealand  •  Singapore  •  Hong Kong

To subscribe to our complimentary monthly newsletter, visit:
http://www.hitwise.com.au/

The information transmitted may be confidential, is intended only for
the person to which it is addressed, and may not be reviewed,
retransmitted, disseminated or relied upon by any other persons. If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and destroy
any paper or electronic copies of this message. Any views expressed in
this email communication are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender specifically states otherwise. Hitwise does not
represent, warrant or guarantee that the communication is free of
errors, virus or interference.