PE6850 recommendations

Richard Ford rford at candis.com.cn
Mon Feb 12 01:49:06 CST 2007

G'Day,

I have one run for a client like this for two years with good
results, 1 one year centos4 and one year with esx3

2 x 3.16Ghz MP CPU
4  x 1GB RAM
Front Bay Hard drives with 2 x 36GB 15K U320 SCSI
Main Bays with 9 x 73GB 10K U320 SCSI - in RAID 50  with global hot
spare.
Redundant Power
DRAC Card

The main issue we had was power, the thing need big power plugs (3
amp) and good power source, we had to have the clients data room
redone with more power points of the right type (forget the name -
but damn huge industrial plugs) and power conditioners

The other issue was disk IO.

RAID 5 with 8 disks was just crappy.

RAID 10 was much better but we needed more space in the end because
when we specced storage we had RAID5 in mind and many spindles.....

RAID 50 seems to be almost as fast as RAID10 and has heaps more space
and we are very happy with it and the PERC4 on this server.

Cheers,
RF.