Clone

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Sun Feb 11 14:38:29 CST 2007

On Sun, February 11, 2007 11:56, mark foster wrote:
> Mad Unix wrote:
>> I need a tool to clone linux system from one server to another server,
>> what would be the best....?
> What is best for you is going to depend on your preferences,
> environment, etc.
> There are commercial options like ghost and acronis but I have not used
> (or needed) them because there are plenty of free & open-source options.
> I have tried or know of  g4u[1], partimage[2], system imager and
> dd+netcat. Helix (a bootable forensics toolkit) has adepto/grab[4].
> They all work great. There are also an number of "p2v" tools out there
> due to the recent virtualization movement that can probably also do p2p
> (physical to physical).
>
> Anyway, unless you are trying to get fancy, the quick one-off system can
> best be cloned with dd+netcat (also sometimes called a network
> acquisition) right to the target drive over the network.

Accurate, and good advice for the "one-off".  We use g4l and have been
quite happy with it. It's basically a front-ended dd|netcat solution.  We
push an image to a SAN-connected machine running vsftp for each type of
platform (generic, Oracle J2EE AS, Oracle DBMS in our case) and OS
version/hardware variant, and follow up with a scheduled rsync of each
box.  This lends itself both to quick deployment/redeployment of a new or
repurposed machine, and to bare-metal recovery.  Since the images and
rsync repositories are in the SAN off-site backup rotation, we'd recover
at a cold site by putting iron on the ground, restoring the SAN and a
simple ftp/rsync machine connected to it, then start pulling images and
rsyncs.  Do this for each new server, mount the SAN-based databases, and
back in business.  You can also show a record of the
deployments/redeployments to auditors as evidence of ongoing testing of
the core recovery scenario.

There are more elegant ways to skin the cat, but this is simple and easy
to document.

regards,
j.