Verify tzdata files

Bill Carlson bill-carlson at uiowa.edu
Fri Feb 9 15:27:46 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:37:03AM -0800, Cameron Showalter wrote:
> try,
> # zdump -v US/Pacific | grep 2007
>
> replace US/Pacific with your timezone.
>
> If you see Mar 11 then you're up to date.

Actually, this verifies that the timezone file is correct.

To actually exercise the system, try this:

date -d '2007-03-12'

which says, display the date for the string '2007-03-12'.

For my systems in the Central timezone, the correct result is:

[wcarlson at g ~]$ date -d '2007-03-12'
Mon Mar 12 00:00:00 CDT 2007

The wrong result would be:

Mon Mar 12 00:00:00 CST 2007

Please note, just because an update tzdata package has been installed, that
does not mean /etc/localtime has been updated or is symlinked correctly.
Check it via the date command.

$.02

--
Bill Carlson