PowerEdge 840 /w "virtual disk" sas5?

Thu Feb 8 13:26:48 CST 2007

This indicates that you have a SAS 5/iR controller. These controllers
can do RAID 0 and RAID 1 of two disks. And it will present this disk as
a "Dell VIRTUAL DISK" during POST.

________________________________

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Drew Weaver
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 1:30 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: PowerEdge 840 /w "virtual disk" sas5?

    Hi there, we just ordered a batch of PowerEdge 840s and we're having
some mysterious problems.

Noticably, when the server first boots up we're presented with what
looks like the BIOS for an SAS 5 controller, and then it states that a
"Dell VIRTUAL DISK" is present in the size of 250GB.

Not entirely sure what thats talking about.

secondly (so far) I've tried to install CentOS 3.7 and CentOS 4.4 on
this box and in both cases I'm running into very very very long times to
format the disk, and or copy files to the disk.

Anyone have idea what is going on here?

thanks,
-Drew