PowerEdge 840 /w "virtual disk" sas5?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Thu Feb 8 13:30:29 CST 2007

    Hi there, we just ordered a batch of PowerEdge 840s and we're having
some mysterious problems.

Noticably, when the server first boots up we're presented with what
looks like the BIOS for an SAS 5 controller, and then it states that a
"Dell VIRTUAL DISK" is present in the size of 250GB.

Not entirely sure what thats talking about.

secondly (so far) I've tried to install CentOS 3.7 and CentOS 4.4 on
this box and in both cases I'm running into very very very long times to
format the disk, and or copy files to the disk.

Anyone have idea what is going on here?

thanks,
-Drew