Problems installing RedHat v4.0 on Dell Optiplex GX520 with sata disks ...

Simon Welch simon.welch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 02:50:03 CST 2007

Leonardo

I think that the you will find that the required kernel modules are missing
from the install disks, are they the latest updated disks from Red Hat if
not you could try downloading them.  Otherwise what you need is a suitable
driver disk from Dell, then on install instead of default install options
enter linux expert dd and you will be prompted for a driver disk.

Sorry I can't advise which driver disk you need,  we had a similar problem
but it was with a PowerEdge server with a RAID so the drivers may differ.
Another option is to use the latest Fedora Core (Red Hat free/unsupported
distribution) which I have found rarely has problems installing on modern
hardware, this option depends whether you will be in a production
environment or for personal use.  Although all our web servers run Fedora
without any issues.

Simon