USB card?

Bill Gurley bgurley at utk.edu
Mon Feb 5 13:58:38 CST 2007

I tried using a cheap PCI USB-2.0 card in my old PowerEdge 2600, running
RHEL 3.  It worked fine for a few weeks.  (I use external USB drives to
back up some user data.)  But this past weekend, the PE2600 hung toward
the end of an rsync script using the USB drive on the card.  I rebooted
the machine and it seems to hang when loading the driver for that card.

As I said, this is a cheap card with a VIA chipset, which seemed to be
fine when I first installed it.  But now I'm suspicious and have removed
it.  Can anyone recommend a reliable brand of card suitable for the
PE2600?  The USB that's built into the PE's motherboard is 1.0 and very
slow.

Thanks,

-Bill-

  Bill Gurley, Technical Director