PE 2650 and Add in RAID Controller not being detected

tpickard tpickard at
Mon Feb 5 12:25:03 CST 2007

That was an interesting suggestion but no luck.  It did beep but no SCSI
control menu on reboot.
It should just work.  I have never had this happen before.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at]On Behalf Of BSmith at
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 1:03 PM
To: tpickard
Cc: linux-poweredge-bounces at; Linux-PowerEdge at
Subject: Re: PE 2650 and Add in RAID Controller not being detected

1.  Go into the BIOS.
2.  Hit the Numlock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock keys so the lights on
the keyboard are lit.
3.  Press CTRL-E and you should hear a beep.
4.  Save and exit the BIOS and reboot.

Maybe the machine will "see" the SCSI controller now.

- Brian

	"tpickard" <tpickard at>
Sent by: linux-poweredge-bounces at

02/05/2007 01:01 PM

        To:        "Linux-PowerEdge at" <Linux-PowerEdge at>

        Subject:        PE 2650 and Add in RAID Controller not being

Hello all,

I have a 2650 whose PERC3 has finally quit.  In trying to get some extra
life out of the box, I put in a simple SCSI RAID controller to manage
the disks.  The card is not being detected at boot time as a SCSI
controller and I have no opportunity to ctr-c and configure the devices.
I can boot to CD and detect the card and the drives attached.  I cannot
see the device in the BIOS to set boot order.

Card - LSI Logic LSI20320-R MPT Fusion based controller. (Kernel
supported)  64bit, PCI-X, 133MHZ.
In PCI-X slot 1 to be scanned first per docs.
System BIOS ver A21.

This is an older box with the 400Mhz FSB.  I have put it in every slot.
I have had the card work in another Machine (PCI).

Any ideas on things to try?

Note: The preferred method it to use HW RAID over SW RAID on the Adaptec

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tim Pickard
Systems Support Analyst and Administrator
40 Salem Street
Lynnfield, MA 01940
tpickard at crossref dot org
781 295 0072 x27