LCD access on PowerEdge 1950 with Fedora 6

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Fri Feb 2 12:55:06 CST 2007

We would never put up an extraneous error message just because you are running Fedora. For the most part, the initial install scripts will say that it is unsupported on Fedora, but if you go ahead and install anyways, it will do its best to run anyways, with sometimes unpredictable results due to incompatibilities. Unsupported means just that, dont call us about support, it doesnt, for the most part, mean that we will intentionally put in blocks. (some teams ignore this, but the Linux team tries to make sure people here dont)

I would suspect that you need to load IPMI modules. Can you "chkconfig ipmi on; service ipmi start" and see if that helps?
--
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens [mailto:jens-devel at gmx.de]
Sent: Fri 2/2/2007 12:25 PM
To: Brown, Michael E
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: LCD access on PowerEdge 1950 with Fedora 6

Hi Michael,
I know that dell does not support Fedora Core 6, but I had no problems
installing the rpm´s and now I wonder why I get the error-message.

Is the error "Error! LCD options are not supported on this system."
always send on an unsupported system without even trying to access the
LCD - just because its Fedora?

I can load the modules without any problems - so I wonder if there is a
 hidden force-option to make omconfig work on unsupported platforms, too?

Greetings
Jens