BIOS/firmware upgrades on PE1950

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Fri Feb 2 11:18:34 CST 2007

If you know of any debian developers who wish to contribute packaging for firmware-tools for debian, I would be very happy to include it.
--
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com on behalf of Jean Lofts
Sent: Fri 2/2/2007 7:48 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: BIOS/firmware upgrades on PE1950

Dear All

I've just installed Debian 'etch' on a new PE1950. The first thing that
I normally like to do is check for BIOS and firmware updates and it
appears that there are updates available for the PERC 5/i firmware.
I've done many BIOS and firmware updates in the past by writing the
floppy on a Windows machine but of course, I've just discovered that the
1950 has no floppy drive!

How are other people dealing with this situation?

I've looked at the firmware-tools project but as far as I can tell there
is no support for Debian.

I've also seen the method suggested in
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2006-August/026944.html

but I'm a little reluctant to try it when the consequences of getting a
BIOS or F/W update wrong can be so calamitous.

Any advice please?

Regards

Jean Lofts