BIOS/firmware upgrades on PE1950

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri Feb 2 09:08:10 CST 2007

Jean Lofts wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I've just installed Debian 'etch' on a new PE1950. The first thing that
> I normally like to do is check for BIOS and firmware updates and it
> appears that there are updates available for the PERC 5/i firmware.
> I've done many BIOS and firmware updates in the past by writing the
> floppy on a Windows machine but of course, I've just discovered that the
> 1950 has no floppy drive!
>
> How are other people dealing with this situation?
>
> I've looked at the firmware-tools project but as far as I can tell there
> is no support for Debian.
>
> I've also seen the method suggested in
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2006-August/026944.html
>
> but I'm a little reluctant to try it when the consequences of getting a
> BIOS or F/W update wrong can be so calamitous.
>
> Any advice please?

I have used two methods for upgrading the BIOS:
  * Bios update via pxe, you can boot a dos floppy. This methos works
also for other firmware updates that require a dos floppy.

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2005-August/022314.html

* In newer kernels you can make use of dell_rbu module
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2006-June/025983.html

Regards