megaraid_sas module detection order

Dominique.GARNIER at arval.fr Dominique.GARNIER at arval.fr
Fri Feb 2 07:59:24 CST 2007

Hi,

We have have several poweredge servers (mostly 6850) with a PERC 5/E
and a PERC 5/I devices. The 5/E is connected to an MD1000 storage
device, the 5/I is
handling the internal drives. We want to install our Redhat Enteprise 4
on the internal drives.

The megaraid_sas module is used to detect the two PERC and there is no
way (so far) for me
to make it detect the PERC 5/I first (something to do about its place on
the bus i guess).
As you would expect i have the following devices detected:

sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde on the PERC 5/E
sdf on the PERC 5/I

I'm not too fond of installing the system on the sdf device but i know
most of the problems can
be avoided by using labels on partitions if we have to.

My main concern is about grub.conf. The root directive can't take a
label name... so i don't
expect my system to boot again if i add another logical drive on the
MD1000

Am i wrong? Is there any way to make the megaraid_device detect the 5/I
before the 5/E?
(module options? Server Bios changes?...)

We saw some solutions saying to disable the BIOS on the 5/E device. In
this situation, would
grub boot the system correctly whenever we add or remove logical disk on
the MD1000?

We also have two 2950 with the same kind of PERC devices and the
internal one is detected
first... :(

Thanks,

Dominique

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle,
est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, ARVAL (et ses filiales) decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce message, dans l'hypothese ou il aurait ete modifie.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential.If you receive this message in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.The Internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message. ARVAL (and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message if modified.