PE840: wake on lan, wake on ring

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Tue Dec 11 13:29:41 CST 2007

Forgot to CC the list, sorry.

The PE840 does support Wake-on-Lan (WOL).

Wake Up Capabilities

The Wake Up Capabilities property enables the network adapter to wake up
from a low-power mode when it receives a network wake-up frame. Two
types of wake-up frames are possible: Magic Packet(tm) and Wake Up
Frame.

    Both (default). Selects both Magic Packet and Wake Up Frame as
wake-up frames.

    Magic Packet. Selects Magic Packet as the wake-up frame.

    None. Selects no wake-up frame.

    Wake Up Frame. Selects Wake Up Frame as the wake-up frame and allows
the network adapter to wake the operating system when an event such as a
ping or an Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) request is received.

You need to enable this via NIC settings. On Windows you would use the
BACS2 (Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 2) to enable this feature. On
linux I belive you use the ethtool to do this.

Try ethtool <interfacename> (Usually: ethtool eth0)

This should print your current NIC settings:
Settings for eth0:
<snip>
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
<snip>

The ethtool WOL options are as follows: (From manual file on ubuntu
system.)

       wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
              Set Wake-on-LAN options.  Not all devices support this.
The argument to this option is a string of characters specifying which
options  to
              enable.
              p  Wake on phy activity
              u  Wake on unicast messages
              m  Wake on multicast messages
              b  Wake on broadcast messages
              a  Wake on ARP
              g  Wake on MagicPacket(tm)
              s  Enable SecureOn(tm) password for MagicPacket(tm)
              d  Disable (wake on nothing).  This option clears all
previous options.

       sopass xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc
              Set the SecureOn(tm) password.  The argument to this
option must be 6 bytes in ethernet MAC hex format (xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc).

       msglvl N
              Set the driver message level. Meanings differ per driver.

So to change the settings run: ethtool -s wol
<one-or-several-of-options-above-can-be-enabled>

Normally the settings does not survive a reboot, so you probably have to
add something to rc.local or add an init script to enable WOL on every
time the system starts.

---
Harald