RAID Configuration question

Barry Allard ballard at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 30 20:16:56 CDT 2007

Hi Hank,

The Dell sales reps usually chime "If it's been < 30 days, you can simply
return the system."

RAID 5

RAID 1

Notes

Read time

Read from all drives and parity check for one stripe.

Read both drives and compare.

Improved with spindle sync and hardware raid.

Write time

Mitigated to near RAID 1 with large battery-backed write cache

Commit to both drives.

Sped with lazy battery-backed, large write-cache and command reordering

Failure rate

f^2/(N*(G-1)*r)

1-sqrt(1-r)

f = MTTF of 1 drive, r = MTTR of 1 drive, N = number of drives, G = parity
group size

Utilization

(N-1)/N

FLOOR(N/2)

Rebuild time

Long, long time: up to a week.

Faster.

Read up on observed failure rates:

"Certainly, the lesson from the FAST research is that IT budgets must
include a line item for regular replacement of hard disks, even if the MTBF
says it isn't necessary. This may cut into the expenditures of new storage
systems, something that CIOs and storage vendors prefer."
http://www.channelinsider.com/article/Hard+Disk+MTBF+Flap+or+Farce/202145_2.
aspx

More good stuff: http://roc.cs.berkeley.edu/talks/pdf/UIUC.pdf

Barry